Recent Technical Articles
Recent Research Papers and Reports
External Reports/Books Referencing CleanMetrics
Technology, Globalization, and Sustainability
Electronic Design Automation
Recent technical articles
- Getting a Handle on Geographic Emissions, Environmental Leader (2012).
- When Emissions are Outsourced, Environmental Leader (2012).
- Is There a Leaner Way to Footprint?, GreenBiz (2012).
- Six Lesser-Known Climate Facts, Environmental Leader (2012).
- 3 Ways to Get Ahead of Climate Change, Without Ditching Oil (Yet), GreenBiz (2012).
Resource Efficiency vs. Carbon Reduction, Environmental Leader (2011).
Climate Change and the Consumption Trap, GreenBiz (2011).
Will 10 Billion of Us Have Enough to Eat?, Sustainable Business Oregon (2011).
Closing the Materials Loop, Environmental Leader (2011).
The Anatomy of Food Waste, Environmental Leader (2011).
Scope 3: Pivoting to Material Efficiency, Environmental Leader (2011).
Is Sustainability All about the Supply Chain?, Environmental Leader (2011).
- Framing the Food Sustainability Challenge, Environmental Leader (2011).
- Waste Not: The Case for Material Efficiency, Sustainable Industries (2011).
Recent research papers and reports
- The Climate Change and Economic Impacts of Food Waste in the United States,
Journal on Food System Dynamics (2012).
- Food Transportation Issues and Reducing the Carbon Footprint, in
Technologies in Food Production and Processing (ed: Y.
Arcand & J. Boye), Springer (2012).
- Comparison of Twelve Organic and Conventional Farming Systems: A Life Cycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions Perspective,
Journal of Sustainable Agriculture (2012). (Previous draft full-text
Meat Eater's Guide to Climate Change and Health - Life-cycle Assessments:
Methodology and Results, Environmental
Working Group (2011). (Plus,
clarifying notes on beef and lamb LCAs)
- MyPlate: An Analysis of Climate Change Impact, CleanMetrics Technical Brief (2011).
- Emergence of Networks in Distance-Constrained Trade, in
Unifying Themes in Complex Systems (ed: A. Minai, et al), Chap. 25, Springer
Institutional Food Footprint: The Impact of Food Packaging, Waste, and
Transportation, Third Annual Meeting of the American Association of Wine Economists (2009).
- The Energy and Carbon Intensity of Wine Distribution: A Study of Logistical Options for Delivering Wine to Consumers, Journal of Cleaner Production (2009).
- Measuring the Effects of Food Carbon Footprint Training on
Consumers, Sustainability: The Journal of Record (2009).
- Enhancing the Environmental Performance of Supply Chains, in Positive Development: from vicious circles to virtuous cycles through built environment design
(ed: J. Birkeland), Earthscan Publishers (2008).
- Red, White and Green: Investigating the Energy Intensity of Wine Distribution, International Conference on Business and Sustainability (2007).
- Determining the Effects of a Food Carbon Footprint Training Tool on Consumer Knowledge, Transfer Intentions, and Environmental Self-Efficacy, International Conference on Business and Sustainability (2007).
- Greening the Supply Chain: Improving Carbon Emissions in the Distribution of Food and Beverages, INFORMS Annual Meeting (2007).
- Analyzing and Optimizing the Environmental Performance of Supply Chains, ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Industry (2007).
- Emergence of Networks in Distance-Constrained Trade, InterJournal & International Conference on Complex Systems (2006).
- An Agent-Based Model of Trade with Distance-Based Transaction Cost, Summer Computer Simulation Conference (2006).
- Is Lean Necessarily Green?, 50th Annual Meeting of the International Society for the Systems Sciences (2006).
- Using Simulation to Understand and Optimize a Lean Service Process, Spring Simulation MultiConference (2006)
- System dynamics model of municipal recycling, policy options and social dynamics
- System dynamics model of predator-prey dynamics, wildlife management and policy options
- Ecological Consequences of Doubling the Atmospheric CO2 Concentration University of California, Berkeley (1999).
External reports and books referencing CleanMetrics
Data Availability for Carbon Calculators in Measuring GHG Emissions Produced by the Food Sector,
International Journal on Food System Dynamics (2011).
The Great Food Robbery: How Corporations Control Food, Grab Land and Destroy the
Climate, Pambazuka Press (2012)
Green Product Design: EL Insights,
Environmental Leader (2011).
Life Cycle Assessment: A Guide for Sustainability and Strategy Executives,
Green Research (2011).
Smart Innovators Product LCA Software, Verdantix (2011).
- Urban Homesteading: Heirloom
Skills for Sustainable Living, Skyhorse Publishing (2011).
- Food Delivery Footprint: Addressing Transportation, Packaging and Waste in the Food Supply Chain, Oregon Transportation Research and Education Consortium (2010).
- Sustainable Supply Chain Design: Capturing Dynamic Input Factors, Journal of Simulation (2010).
- Overview of Carbon Calculators with Focus on Food Chain, Department of Food and Resource Economics, University of Bonn (2010).
- Atmospheric Alienation, Carbon Tracking and Geo-Techno Agency, CTHEORY (2010).
- Sustaining the Global Food Supply Chain (GFSC): an Ecosystem Approach, Aberdeen Group (2009).
- The ROI of Sustainability: Making the Business Case, Aberdeen Group (2009).
- A Classification of Carbon Footprint Methods Used by Companies, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2009).
- Environmental Impacts of Food Procurement, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health (2008).
- Sustainable Logistics: Towards the Development of Environmentally Conscious Supply Chains, EPA - Ireland (2007).
Selected articles: Technology, globalization, and sustainability
Sustainable consumption: For all our ingenuity, it still comes down to using
less, The Oregonian (2011).
- Modernization of India Leaves Most of Its People Behind, San Jose Mercury News (2005).
- The Hidden Costs of Comparative Advantage, GreenBiz (2005).
- The Trouble with Sustainability, The Oregonian (2004).
- Choosing the Right Technologies, GreenBiz (2004).
- We Need a Balanced View of Productivity, San Jose Mercury News (2004).
- What Kind of Productivity Do We Need?, GreenBiz (2004).
- Free Trade: Benefit or Peril for the Environment?, GreenBiz (2004).
- Global Trade = Global Warming, Salon (2003).
- Global Trade and Climate Change, GreenBiz & ClimateBiz (2003).
- Globalization's Unanswered Questions, Common Dreams News Center (2003).
- Beware the Life Cycle of 'Recycled', The Christian Science Monitor (2003).
- Making Globalization Work, Business Line (2003)
- Thinking Small: Globalization and the Choice of Technology, Orion Online (2003).
- Can Small Still Be Beautiful?, The Christian Science Monitor (2003).
- Can Silicon Valley Stay Relevant?, San Jose Mercury News (2002).
- Combatting E-waste, San Francisco Chronicle (2002).
- Deadly Distraction - Kashmir Conflict Bleeds Two Poor Nations, Pacific News Service (2002).
- Delving into the Digital Divide, IEEE Spectrum (2002).
- Digital Divide and Poverty, Journal of Poverty (2001).
- The Consumption Trap, Business Line (2001).
- Linking Global Warming to the Energy Crisis, San Francisco Chronicle (2001).
- Wrong Solution: Technology is Not What the Third World Hungers For, San Jose Mercury News (2001).
Selected research papers: Electronic design automation
|© Copyright 2007-2011 by CleanMetrics Corp. All rights reserved.
CleanMetrics, CargoScope, CarbonScope, BuildingScope, CarbonScopeData,
FoodCarbonScope, Deep Carbon Footprinting, and MetaFlowScope are trademarks of CleanMetrics Corp.